Convert Gigajoules to Therms
Enter the energy in gigajoules below to get the value converted to therms.
How to Convert Gigajoules to Therms
To convert a gigajoule measurement to a therm measurement, multiply the energy by the conversion ratio. One gigajoule is equal to 9.478171 therms, so use this simple formula to convert:
The energy in therms is equal to the gigajoules multiplied by 9.478171.
Gigajoules and therms are both units used to measure energy. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
The gigajoule is a multiple of the joule, which is the SI derived unit for energy. In the metric system, "giga" is the prefix for 106. Gigajoules can be abbreviated as GJ, for example 1 gigajoule can be written as 1 GJ.
One therm is a measure of heat energy equal to 100,000 BTU, which are equal to the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit. Therms are often used by natural gas companies to measure the heat equivalent of gas used.
The therm is a US customary unit of energy.
Gigajoule Measurements and Equivalent Therm Conversions
More Gigajoule Energy Conversions
- Convert to Joules
- 1 GJ is equal to 1,000,000,000 joules
- Convert to Kilojoules
- 1 GJ is equal to 1,000,000 kilojoules
- Convert to Megajoules
- 1 GJ is equal to 1,000 megajoules
- Convert to Calories
- 1 GJ is equal to 239,005,736.1 calories
- Convert to Kilocalories
- 1 GJ is equal to 239,005.7 kilocalories
- Convert to Megacalories
- 1 GJ is equal to 239.005736 megacalories
- Convert to Watt-hours
- 1 GJ is equal to 277,777.8 watt-hours
- Convert to Kilowatt-hours
- 1 GJ is equal to 277.777778 kilowatt-hours
- Convert to Megawatt-hours
- 1 GJ is equal to 0.277778 megawatt-hours
- Convert to Watt-seconds
- 1 GJ is equal to 1,000,000,000 watt-seconds
- Convert to British Thermal Units
- 1 GJ is equal to 947,817.1 british thermal units
- Convert to Million BTU
- 1 GJ is equal to 0.947817 million BTU
- Convert to Quads
- 1 GJ is equal to 9.4782E-10 quads