Joules to Kilowatt-Hours Converter
Enter the energy in joules below to get the value converted to kilowatt-hours.
Do you want to convert kilowatt-hours to joules?
How to Convert Joules to Kilowatt-Hours
To convert a measurement in joules to a measurement in kilowatt-hours, divide the energy by the following conversion ratio: 3,600,000 joules/kilowatt-hour.
Since one kilowatt-hour is equal to 3,600,000 joules, you can use this simple formula to convert:
The energy in kilowatt-hours is equal to the energy in joules divided by 3,600,000.
Joules and kilowatt-hours are both units used to measure energy. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What is a Joule?
The joule is the energy equal to the force on an object of one newton at a distance of one meter. One joule is equal to the heat energy dissipated by the current of one ampere through one ohm of resistance for one second.
One joule is also equal to the energy needed to move an electric charge of one coulomb through a potential difference of one volt. In addition, one joule is also equal to the one watt-second.
The joule is the SI derived unit for energy in the metric system. Joules can be abbreviated as J; for example, 1 joule can be written as 1 J.
Learn more about joules.
What is a Kilowatt-Hour?
A kilowatt-hour is a measure of electrical energy equal to one kilowatt, or 1,000 watts, of power over a one hour period. Kilowatt-hours are a measure of electrical work performed over a period of time, and are often used as a way of measuring energy usage by electric companies.
Kilowatt-hours are usually abbreviated as kWh, although the formally adopted expression is kW·h. The abbreviation kW h is also sometimes used. For example, 1 kilowatt-hour can be written as 1 kWh, 1 kW·h, or 1 kW h.
In formal expressions, the centered dot (·) or space is used to separate units used to indicate multiplication in an expression and to avoid conflicting prefixes being misinterpreted as a unit symbol.
Learn more about kilowatt-hours.
Joule to Kilowatt-Hour Conversion Table
|1 J||0.00000027778 kWh|
|2 J||0.00000055556 kWh|
|3 J||0.00000083333 kWh|
|4 J||0.0000011111 kWh|
|5 J||0.0000013889 kWh|
|6 J||0.0000016667 kWh|
|7 J||0.0000019444 kWh|
|8 J||0.0000022222 kWh|
|9 J||0.0000025 kWh|
|10 J||0.0000027778 kWh|
|100 J||0.000027778 kWh|
|1,000 J||0.000278 kWh|
|10,000 J||0.002778 kWh|
|100,000 J||0.027778 kWh|
|1,000,000 J||0.277778 kWh|
|10,000,000 J||2.7778 kWh|
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures, The International System of Units, 9th Edition, 2019, https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/41483022/SI-Brochure-9-EN.pdf
- Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, The International System of Units (SI), 9th edition, 2019, https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/41483022/SI-Brochure-9-EN.pdf
More Joule & Kilowatt-Hour Conversions
- joules to kilojoules
- joules to megajoules
- joules to gigajoules
- joules to calories
- joules to kilocalories
- joules to megacalories
- joules to watt-hours
- joules to megawatt-hours
- joules to watt-seconds
- joules to british thermal units
- joules to million BTU
- joules to therms
- joules to quads
- joules to electronvolts
- joules to kiloelectronvolts
- joules to megaelectronvolts
- kilojoules to kilowatt-hours
- megajoules to kilowatt-hours
- gigajoules to kilowatt-hours
- calories to kilowatt-hours
- kilocalories to kilowatt-hours
- megacalories to kilowatt-hours
- watt-hours to kilowatt-hours
- megawatt-hours to kilowatt-hours
- watt-seconds to kilowatt-hours
- british thermal units to kilowatt-hours
- million BTU to kilowatt-hours
- therms to kilowatt-hours
- quads to kilowatt-hours
- electronvolts to kilowatt-hours
- kiloelectronvolts to kilowatt-hours
- megaelectronvolts to kilowatt-hours