Knots to Meters per Second Converter
Enter the speed in knots below to get the value converted to meters per second.
Do you want to convert meters per second to knots?
How to Convert Knots to Meters per Second
To convert a knot measurement to a meter per second measurement, multiply the speed by the conversion ratio.
Since one knot is equal to 0.514444 meters per second, you can use this simple formula to convert:
The speed in meters per second is equal to the knots multiplied by 0.514444.
Knots and meters per second are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What is a Knot?
One knot is equal to a speed of one nautical mile per hour, or one minute of latitude per hour.
Knots can be abbreviated as kn, and are also sometimes abbreviated as kt. For example, 1 knot can be written as 1 kn or 1 kt.
Learn more about knots.
What Are Meters per Second?
Meters per second are a measurement of speed expressing the distance traveled in meters in one second.
The meter per second, or metre per second, is the SI derived unit for speed in the metric system. Meters per second can be abbreviated as m/s, and are also sometimes abbreviated as m/sec. For example, 1 meter per second can be written as 1 m/s or 1 m/sec.
In formal expressions, the slash, or solidus (/), is used to separate units used to indicate division in an expression.
Meters per second can be expressed using the formula:
vm/s = dm / tsec
The velocity in meters per second is equal to the distance in meters divided by time in seconds.
Learn more about meters per second.
Knot to Meter per Second Conversion Table
|Knots||Meters Per Second|
|1 kn||0.514444 m/s|
|2 kn||1.0289 m/s|
|3 kn||1.5433 m/s|
|4 kn||2.0578 m/s|
|5 kn||2.5722 m/s|
|6 kn||3.0867 m/s|
|7 kn||3.6011 m/s|
|8 kn||4.1156 m/s|
|9 kn||4.63 m/s|
|10 kn||5.1444 m/s|
|11 kn||5.6589 m/s|
|12 kn||6.1733 m/s|
|13 kn||6.6878 m/s|
|14 kn||7.2022 m/s|
|15 kn||7.7167 m/s|
|16 kn||8.2311 m/s|
|17 kn||8.7456 m/s|
|18 kn||9.26 m/s|
|19 kn||9.7744 m/s|
|20 kn||10.29 m/s|
|21 kn||10.8 m/s|
|22 kn||11.32 m/s|
|23 kn||11.83 m/s|
|24 kn||12.35 m/s|
|25 kn||12.86 m/s|
|26 kn||13.38 m/s|
|27 kn||13.89 m/s|
|28 kn||14.4 m/s|
|29 kn||14.92 m/s|
|30 kn||15.43 m/s|
|31 kn||15.95 m/s|
|32 kn||16.46 m/s|
|33 kn||16.98 m/s|
|34 kn||17.49 m/s|
|35 kn||18.01 m/s|
|36 kn||18.52 m/s|
|37 kn||19.03 m/s|
|38 kn||19.55 m/s|
|39 kn||20.06 m/s|
|40 kn||20.58 m/s|
- NASA, Knots Versus Miles per Hour, https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/WindTunnel/Activities/knots_vs_mph.html
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Guide to the SI, Chapter 6: Rules and Style Conventions for Printing and Using Units, https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-chapter-6-rules-and-style-conventions-printing-and-using
More Knot & Meter per Second Conversions
- knots to Mach number
- knots to speed of sound
- knots to speed of light
- knots to miles per hour
- knots to feet per second
- knots to kilometers per second
- knots to kilometers per hour
- knots to centimeters per second
- Mach number to meters per second
- speed of sound to meters per second
- speed of light to meters per second
- miles per hour to meters per second
- feet per second to meters per second
- kilometers per second to meters per second
- kilometers per hour to meters per second
- centimeters per second to meters per second