Mach Number to Meters per Second Converter
Enter the Mach number below to convert the speed to meters per second.
Do you want to convert meters per second to Mach number?
How to Convert Mach Number to Meters per Second
To convert a Mach measurement to a meter per second measurement, multiply the Mach number by the conversion ratio. Mach 1 is equal to 343 meters per second, so use this simple formula to convert:
The speed in meters per second is equal to the Mach number multiplied by 343.
Mach number and meters per second are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What is Mach Number?
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Learn more about Mach number.
What Are Meters per Second?
Meters per second are a measurement of speed expressing the distance traveled in meters in one second.
The meter per second, or metre per second, is the SI derived unit for speed in the metric system. Meters per second can be abbreviated as m/s, and are also sometimes abbreviated as m/sec. For example, 1 meter per second can be written as 1 m/s or 1 m/sec.
In the expressions of units, the slash, or solidus (/), is used to express a change in one or more units relative to a change in one or more other units. For example, m/s is expressing a change in length or distance relative to a change in time.
Meters per second can be expressed using the formula:
vm/s = dm / tsec
The velocity in meters per second is equal to the distance in meters divided by time in seconds.
Learn more about meters per second.
Mach to Meter per Second Conversion Table
|Mach Number||Meters Per Second|
|Mach 0.25||85.75 m/s|
|Mach 0.5||171.5 m/s|
|Mach 0.75||257.25 m/s|
|Mach 1||343 m/s|
|Mach 1.5||514.5 m/s|
|Mach 2||686 m/s|
|Mach 2.5||857.5 m/s|
|Mach 3||1,029 m/s|
|Mach 3.5||1,201 m/s|
|Mach 4||1,372 m/s|
|Mach 4.5||1,544 m/s|
|Mach 5||1,715 m/s|
|Mach 5.5||1,887 m/s|
|Mach 6||2,058 m/s|
|Mach 6.5||2,230 m/s|
|Mach 7||2,401 m/s|
|Mach 7.5||2,573 m/s|
|Mach 8||2,744 m/s|
|Mach 8.5||2,916 m/s|
|Mach 9||3,087 m/s|
|Mach 9.5||3,259 m/s|
|Mach 10||3,430 m/s|
- NASA, Mach Number, https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/BGH/mach.html
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Guide to the SI, Chapter 6: Rules and Style Conventions for Printing and Using Units, https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-chapter-6-rules-and-style-conventions-printing-and-using
More Mach & Meter per Second Conversions
- Mach number to knots
- Mach number to speed of sound
- Mach number to speed of light
- Mach number to miles per hour
- Mach number to feet per second
- Mach number to kilometers per second
- Mach number to kilometers per hour
- Mach number to centimeters per second
- knots to meters per second
- speed of sound to meters per second
- speed of light to meters per second
- miles per hour to meters per second
- feet per second to meters per second
- kilometers per second to meters per second
- kilometers per hour to meters per second
- centimeters per second to meters per second