Mach Number to Kilometers per Second Converter
Enter the Mach number below to convert the speed to kilometers per second.
Do you want to convert kilometers per second to Mach number?
How to Convert Mach Number to Kilometers per Second
To convert a Mach measurement to a kilometer per second measurement, multiply the Mach number by the conversion ratio. Mach 1 is equal to 0.343 kilometers per second, so use this simple formula to convert:
The speed in kilometers per second is equal to the Mach number multiplied by 0.343.
Mach number and kilometers per second are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What is Mach Number?
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Learn more about Mach number.
What Are Kilometers per Second?
Kilometers per second are a measurement of speed expressing the distance traveled in kilometers in one second.
The kilometer per second, or kilometre per second, is an SI unit of speed in the metric system. Kilometers per second can be abbreviated as km/s, and are also sometimes abbreviated as km/sec. For example, 1 kilometer per second can be written as 1 km/s or 1 km/sec.
In the expressions of units, the slash, or solidus (/), is used to express a change in one or more units relative to a change in one or more other units. For example, km/s is expressing a change in length or distance relative to a change in time.
Kilometers per second can be expressed using the formula:
vkm/s = dkm / tsec
The velocity in kilometers per second is equal to the distance in kilometers divided by time in seconds.
Learn more about kilometers per second.
Mach to Kilometer per Second Conversion Table
|Mach Number||Kilometers Per Second|
|Mach 0.25||0.08575 km/s|
|Mach 0.5||0.1715 km/s|
|Mach 0.75||0.25725 km/s|
|Mach 1||0.343 km/s|
|Mach 1.5||0.5145 km/s|
|Mach 2||0.686 km/s|
|Mach 2.5||0.8575 km/s|
|Mach 3||1.029 km/s|
|Mach 3.5||1.2005 km/s|
|Mach 4||1.372 km/s|
|Mach 4.5||1.5435 km/s|
|Mach 5||1.715 km/s|
|Mach 5.5||1.8865 km/s|
|Mach 6||2.058 km/s|
|Mach 6.5||2.2295 km/s|
|Mach 7||2.401 km/s|
|Mach 7.5||2.5725 km/s|
|Mach 8||2.744 km/s|
|Mach 8.5||2.9155 km/s|
|Mach 9||3.087 km/s|
|Mach 9.5||3.2585 km/s|
|Mach 10||3.43 km/s|
- NASA, Mach Number, https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/BGH/mach.html
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Guide to the SI, Chapter 6: Rules and Style Conventions for Printing and Using Units, https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-chapter-6-rules-and-style-conventions-printing-and-using
More Mach & Kilometer per Second Conversions
- Mach number to knots
- Mach number to speed of sound
- Mach number to speed of light
- Mach number to miles per hour
- Mach number to feet per second
- Mach number to kilometers per hour
- Mach number to meters per second
- Mach number to centimeters per second
- knots to kilometers per second
- speed of sound to kilometers per second
- speed of light to kilometers per second
- miles per hour to kilometers per second
- feet per second to kilometers per second
- kilometers per hour to kilometers per second
- meters per second to kilometers per second
- centimeters per second to kilometers per second