Convert Mach to Speed Of Sound
Enter the Mach number below to convert the speed to speed of sound.
How to Convert Mach to Speed Of Sound
To convert a Mach measurement to a speed of sound measurement, multiply the Mach number by the conversion ratio. Mach 1 is equal to 1 speed of sound, so use this simple formula to convert:
The speed in speed of sound is equal to the Mach number multiplied by 1.
Mach and speed of sound are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Mach Measurements and Equivalent Speed Of Sound Conversions
|Mach||Speed Of Sound|
More Mach Speed Conversions
- Convert to Knots
- Mach 1 is equal to 666.738661 knots
- Convert to Speed Of Light
- Mach 1 is equal to 1.1441E-6 speed of light
- Convert to Miles Per Hour
- Mach 1 is equal to 767.269148 miles per hour
- Convert to Feet Per Second
- Mach 1 is equal to 1,125.33 feet per second
- Convert to Kilometers Per Second
- Mach 1 is equal to 0.343 kilometers per second
- Convert to Kilometers Per Hour
- Mach 1 is equal to 1,234.8 kilometers per hour
- Convert to Meters Per Second
- Mach 1 is equal to 343 meters per second
- Convert to Centimeters Per Second
- Mach 1 is equal to 34,300 centimeters per second