Mach Number to Feet per Second Converter
Enter the Mach number below to convert the speed to feet per second.
Do you want to convert feet per second to Mach number?
How to Convert Mach Number to Feet per Second
To convert a Mach measurement to a foot per second measurement, multiply the Mach number by the conversion ratio. Mach 1 is equal to 1,125.328084 feet per second, so use this simple formula to convert:
The speed in feet per second is equal to the Mach number multiplied by 1,125.328084.
Mach number and feet per second are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What is Mach Number?
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Learn more about Mach number.
What Are Feet per Second?
Feet per second are a measurement of speed expressing the distance traveled in feet in one second.
The foot per second is a US customary and imperial unit of speed. Feet per second can be abbreviated as ft/s, and are also sometimes abbreviated as ft/sec or fps. For example, 1 foot per second can be written as 1 ft/s, 1 ft/sec, or 1 fps.
In the expressions of units, the slash, or solidus (/), is used to express a change in one or more units relative to a change in one or more other units. For example, ft/s is expressing a change in length or distance relative to a change in time.
Feet per second can be expressed using the formula:
vft/s = dft / tsec
The velocity in feet per second is equal to the distance in feet divided by time in seconds.
Learn more about feet per second.
Mach to Foot per Second Conversion Table
|Mach Number||Feet Per Second|
|Mach 0.25||281.33 ft/s|
|Mach 0.5||562.66 ft/s|
|Mach 0.75||844 ft/s|
|Mach 1||1,125 ft/s|
|Mach 1.5||1,688 ft/s|
|Mach 2||2,251 ft/s|
|Mach 2.5||2,813 ft/s|
|Mach 3||3,376 ft/s|
|Mach 3.5||3,939 ft/s|
|Mach 4||4,501 ft/s|
|Mach 4.5||5,064 ft/s|
|Mach 5||5,627 ft/s|
|Mach 5.5||6,189 ft/s|
|Mach 6||6,752 ft/s|
|Mach 6.5||7,315 ft/s|
|Mach 7||7,877 ft/s|
|Mach 7.5||8,440 ft/s|
|Mach 8||9,003 ft/s|
|Mach 8.5||9,565 ft/s|
|Mach 9||10,128 ft/s|
|Mach 9.5||10,691 ft/s|
|Mach 10||11,253 ft/s|
- NASA, Mach Number, https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/BGH/mach.html
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Guide to the SI, Chapter 6: Rules and Style Conventions for Printing and Using Units, https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-chapter-6-rules-and-style-conventions-printing-and-using
More Mach & Foot per Second Conversions
- Mach number to knots
- Mach number to speed of sound
- Mach number to speed of light
- Mach number to miles per hour
- Mach number to kilometers per second
- Mach number to kilometers per hour
- Mach number to meters per second
- Mach number to centimeters per second
- knots to feet per second
- speed of sound to feet per second
- speed of light to feet per second
- miles per hour to feet per second
- kilometers per second to feet per second
- kilometers per hour to feet per second
- meters per second to feet per second
- centimeters per second to feet per second