Convert Speed Of Sound to Mach
Enter the speed in speed of sound below to get the value converted to Mach.
How to Convert Speed Of Sound to Mach
To convert a speed of sound measurement to a Mach measurement, multiply the speed by the conversion ratio. One speed of sound is equal to Mach 1, so use this simple formula to convert:
The Mach number is equal to the speed in speed of sound multiplied by 1.
Speed of sound and Mach are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Speed Of Sound Measurements and Equivalent Mach Conversions
|Speed Of Sound||Mach|
More Speed Of Sound Speed Conversions
- Convert to Knots
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 666.738661 knots
- Convert to Speed Of Light
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 1.1441E-6 speed of light
- Convert to Miles Per Hour
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 767.269148 miles per hour
- Convert to Feet Per Second
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 1,125.33 feet per second
- Convert to Kilometers Per Second
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 0.343 kilometers per second
- Convert to Kilometers Per Hour
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 1,234.8 kilometers per hour
- Convert to Meters Per Second
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 343 meters per second
- Convert to Centimeters Per Second
- 1 speed of sound is equal to 34,300 centimeters per second