Centimeters per Second to Mach Number Converter
Enter the speed in centimeters per second below to get the value converted to Mach number.
Do you want to convert Mach number to centimeters per second?
How to Convert Centimeters per Second to Mach Number
To convert a centimeter per second measurement to a Mach measurement, multiply the speed by the conversion ratio. One centimeter per second is equal to Mach 2.9155E-5, so use this simple formula to convert:
The Mach number is equal to the speed in centimeters per second multiplied by 2.9155E-5.
Centimeters per second and Mach number are both units used to measure speed. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
What Are Centimeters per Second?
Centimeters per second are a measurement of speed expressing the distance traveled in centimeters in one second.
The centimeter per second, or centimetre per second, is an SI unit of speed in the metric system. Centimeters per second can be abbreviated as cm/s, and are also sometimes abbreviated as cm/sec. For example, 1 centimeter per second can be written as 1 cm/s or 1 cm/sec.
In the expressions of units, the slash, or solidus (/), is used to express a change in one or more units relative to a change in one or more other units. For example, cm/s is expressing a change in length or distance relative to a change in time.
Centimeters per second can be expressed using the formula:
vm/s = dcm / tsec
The velocity in centimeters per second is equal to the distance in centimeters divided by time in seconds.
Learn more about centimeters per second.
What is Mach Number?
Mach, sometimes also referred to as a Mach number, is the ratio of the speed of an object to the speed of sound.
Mach can be abbreviated as M, and is also sometimes abbreviated as Ma. For example, Mach 1 can be written as 1 M or 1 Ma.
Although Mach can be abbreviated M or Ma, the Mach number is typically expressed with the number after the unit name. For example, the expression Mach 3 is preferred rather than 3 Machs or 3 M.
The speed is classified as either subsonic, transonic, supersonic, or hypersonic depending on the Mach number.
|Speed Classification||Mach Number|
|Subsonic||Mach < 1.0|
|Transonic||Mach = 1.0|
|Supersonic||Mach > 1.0|
|Hypersonic||Mach > 5.0|
Learn more about Mach number.
Centimeter per Second to Mach Conversion Table
|Centimeters Per Second||Mach Number|
|8,575 cm/s||Mach 0.25|
|17,150 cm/s||Mach 0.5|
|25,725 cm/s||Mach 0.75|
|34,300 cm/s||Mach 1|
|51,450 cm/s||Mach 1.5|
|68,600 cm/s||Mach 2|
|85,750 cm/s||Mach 2.5|
|102,900 cm/s||Mach 3|
|120,050 cm/s||Mach 3.5|
|137,200 cm/s||Mach 4|
|154,350 cm/s||Mach 4.5|
|171,500 cm/s||Mach 5|
|188,650 cm/s||Mach 5.5|
|205,800 cm/s||Mach 6|
|222,950 cm/s||Mach 6.5|
|240,100 cm/s||Mach 7|
|257,250 cm/s||Mach 7.5|
|274,400 cm/s||Mach 8|
|291,550 cm/s||Mach 8.5|
|308,700 cm/s||Mach 9|
|325,850 cm/s||Mach 9.5|
|343,000 cm/s||Mach 10|
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Guide to the SI, Chapter 6: Rules and Style Conventions for Printing and Using Units, https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-chapter-6-rules-and-style-conventions-printing-and-using
- NASA, Mach Number, https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/BGH/mach.html
More Centimeter per Second & Mach Conversions
- centimeters per second to knots
- centimeters per second to speed of sound
- centimeters per second to speed of light
- centimeters per second to miles per hour
- centimeters per second to feet per second
- centimeters per second to kilometers per second
- centimeters per second to kilometers per hour
- centimeters per second to meters per second
- knots to Mach number
- speed of sound to Mach number
- speed of light to Mach number
- miles per hour to Mach number
- feet per second to Mach number
- kilometers per second to Mach number
- kilometers per hour to Mach number
- meters per second to Mach number