Convert Miles to Yards
Learn How to Convert Miles to Yards Using our Conversion Formula
Converting a mile length measurement to a yard measurement involves multiplying your length by the conversion ratio to find the result. A mile is equal to 1760 yards, so to convert simply multiply by 1760.
For example, 5mi = (5 × 1760) = 8,800yd.
Miles and yards are both units used to measure length. Learn more about length and find more length measurement conversion calculators. A mile is an imperial measurement and can be abbreviated as mi, for example 1mi. A yard is an imperial measurement and can be abbreviated as yd, for example 1yd.
In 1959 the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa agreed to define the yard as yard as exactly 0.9144 meters. Historically the yard has been a common form of measurement with its usage dating back to the Romans. In the US, fabrics and carpeting is sold by the square yard, which is equal to an area 1yd by 1yd.
We recommend using a ruler or tape measure for measuring length, which can be found at a local retailer or home center. Rulers are available in imperial, metric, or combination with both values, so make sure you get the correct type for your needs. If you need a ruler you can also download and print our free printable rulers which include both imperial and metric measurements.
More Length Conversions
- Convert to Feet Length
- 1mi is equal to 5,280 feet
- Convert to Inches Length
- 1mi is equal to 63,360 inches
- Convert to Kilometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1.609344 kilometers
- Convert to Meters Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609 meters
- Convert to Centimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 160,934 centimeters
- Convert to Millimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344 millimeters
- Convert to Micrometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000 micrometers
- Convert to Nanometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000,000 nanometers
Mile Measurements and Equivalent Yard Conversions