Convert Miles to Meters
Enter your mile value in the form below to get the value calculated in meters.
How to Convert Miles to Meters Using an Easy Conversion Formula
Converting a mile length measurement to a meter measurement involves multiplying your length by the conversion ratio to find the result. A mile is equal to 1609.344 meters, so to convert simply multiply by 1609.344.
Miles and meters are both units used to measure length. Learn more about length and find more length measurement conversion calculators. A mile is an imperial measurement and can be abbreviated as mi, for example 1mi. A meter is a metric measurement and can be abbreviated as m, for example 1m. Learn more about the metric system, including the common unit prefixes and how to convert between metric units.
The meter is the primary unit of length in the metric system. It's equal to 100 centimeters or 39.37 inches. Internationally it is actually spelled metre. It was first defined 1793 as 1/10,000,000 the length from the equator to the North Pole. The current definition of a meter, adopted in 1983, is the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458 seconds and was adopted to in 1983.
We recommend using a ruler or tape measure for measuring length, which can be found at a local retailer or home center. Rulers are available in imperial, metric, or combination with both values, so make sure you get the correct type for your needs. If you need a ruler you can also download and print our free printable rulers which include both imperial and metric measurements.
Mile Measurements and Equivalent Meter Conversions
More Length Conversions
- Convert to Yards Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,760 yards
- Convert to Feet Length
- 1mi is equal to 5,280 feet
- Convert to Inches Length
- 1mi is equal to 63,360 inches
- Convert to Kilometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1.609344 kilometers
- Convert to Centimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 160,934 centimeters
- Convert to Millimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344 millimeters
- Convert to Micrometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000 micrometers
- Convert to Nanometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000,000 nanometers