Convert Miles to Kilometers
Learn How to Convert Miles to Kilometers Using our Conversion Formula
Converting a mile length measurement to a kilometer measurement involves multiplying your length by the conversion ratio to find the result. A mile is equal to 1.609344 kilometers, so to convert simply multiply by 1.609344.
For example, 5mi = (5 × 1.609344) = 8.04672km.
Miles and kilometers are both units used to measure length. Learn more about length and find more length measurement conversion calculators. A mile is an imperial measurement and can be abbreviated as mi, for example 1mi. A kilometer is a metric measurement and can be abbreviated as km, for example 1km. Learn more about the metric system, including the common unit prefixes and how to convert between metric units.
We recommend using a ruler or tape measure for measuring length, which can be found at a local retailer or home center. Rulers are available in imperial, metric, or combination with both values, so make sure you get the correct type for your needs. If you need a ruler you can also download and print our free printable rulers which include both imperial and metric measurements.
More Length Conversions
- Convert to Yards Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,760 yards
- Convert to Feet Length
- 1mi is equal to 5,280 feet
- Convert to Inches Length
- 1mi is equal to 63,360 inches
- Convert to Meters Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609 meters
- Convert to Centimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 160,934 centimeters
- Convert to Millimeters Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344 millimeters
- Convert to Micrometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000 micrometers
- Convert to Nanometers Length
- 1mi is equal to 1,609,344,000,000 nanometers
Mile Measurements and Equivalent Kilometer Conversions