Convert Kilometers to Inches
Enter the length in kilometers below to get the value converted to inches.
1 km ≈ 39,370 5/64"
How to Convert Kilometers to Inches
To convert a kilometer measurement to an inch measurement, multiply the length by the conversion ratio. One kilometer is equal to 39,370.07874 inches, so use this simple formula to convert:
The length in inches is equal to the kilometers multiplied by 39,370.07874.
Our inch fraction calculator can add kilometers and inches together and it also automatically converts the results to US customary, imperial and SI metric values.
Kilometers and inches are both units used to measure length. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
The kilometer, or kilometre, is a multiple of the meter, which is the SI base unit for length. In the metric system, "kilo" is the prefix for 103. Kilometers can be abbreviated as km, for example 1 kilometer can be written as 1 km.
An inch is a unit of linear length measure equal to 1/12 of a foot or 1/36 of a yard. Because the international yard is legally defined to be equal to exactly 0.9144 meters, one inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters.
The inch is a US customary and imperial unit of length. Inches can be abbreviated as in, for example 1 inch can be written as 1 in.
Inches can also be denoted using the ″ symbol, otherwise know as a double-prime. Often a double-quote (") is used instead of a double-prime for convenience. Using the double-prime, 1 in can be written as 1″.
The standard ruler has 12", and are a common measuring tool for measuring inches. They are also often measured using tape measures which commonly come in lengths from 6' - 35'. Other types of measuring devices include scales, calipers, measuring wheels, micrometers, yardsticks, and even lasers.
We recommend using a ruler or tape measure for measuring length, which can be found at a local retailer or home center. Rulers are available in imperial, metric, or combination with both values, so make sure you get the correct type for your needs.
If you need a ruler you can also download and print our free printable rulers, which include both imperial and metric measurements.
Kilometer Measurements and Equivalent Inch Conversions
- Ambler Thompson and Barry N. Taylor, Guide for the Use of the International System of Units (SI), National Institute of Standards and Technology, https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/pdf/sp811.pdf
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, Handbook 133 - 2019 Edition, https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/04/28/12-apde-gentab-11-hb133-final.pdf
More Kilometer Length Conversions
- Convert to Miles
- 1 km is equal to 0.621371 miles
- Convert to Yards
- 1 km is equal to 1,093.61 yards
- Convert to Feet
- 1 km is equal to 3,280.84 feet
- Convert to Meters
- 1 km is equal to 1,000 meters
- Convert to Centimeters
- 1 km is equal to 100,000 centimeters
- Convert to Millimeters
- 1 km is equal to 1,000,000 millimeters
- Convert to Micrometers
- 1 km is equal to 1,000,000,000 micrometers
- Convert to Nanometers
- 1 km is equal to 1,000,000,000,000 nanometers