Paver Base Calculator
Calculate the amount of gravel and sand needed for the base for a paver patio, path, or driveway project. Enter the size of the project and desired depth of the base materials to get an estimate of gravel and sand required.
Paver Base Material Estimate:
How to Estimate Paver Base Sand and Gravel
A beautiful and long-lasting paver patio starts with a solid base. A paver base consists of a layer of crushed gravel topped with a layer of sand.
A solid base will prevent the pavers from shifting, sinking, and upheaving.
How to Find Cubic Yards of Base Material
To estimate the cubic yards of sand and gravel needed for a paver base follow these steps:
- Measure the length and width of the patio in inches
- Multiply the length and width to find the area in square inches
- Multiply the area by the gravel depth in inches to find the volume in cubic inches
- Divide gravel cubic inches by 46,656 to find the amount of gravel in cubic yards
- Multiply the area by the sand depth in inches to find the volume in cubic inches
- Divide sand cubic inches by 46,656 to find the amount of sand in cubic yards
How to Find Cubic Meters of Base Material
Finding the cubic meters of sand and gravel needed is very similar to the steps above, with slight changes:
- Measure the length and width of the patio in centimeters
- Multiply the length and width to find the area in square centimeters
- Multiply the area by the gravel depth in centimeters to find the volume in cubic cm
- Divide gravel cubic cm by 1,000,000 to find the volume of gravel in cubic meters
- Multiply the area by the sand depth in centimeters to find the sand volume in cubic cm
- Divide sand cubic cm by 1,000,000 to find how much sand is needed in cubic meters
How Deep Should a Paver Base Be?
For a typical patio, a paver base should consist of a 4″ layer of gravel with a 1″ layer of sand. For heavier duty applications such as commercial spaces or driveways a 6″ to 8″ layer of gravel should be used.
Amount of Paver Base Material Needed for a Patio
|Patio Size||Gravel Needed (4″ base)||Sand Needed (1″ base)|
|50 sq. ft.||0.62 cu. yds.||0.15 cu. yds.|
|100 sq. ft.||1.23 cu. yds.||0.31 cu. yds.|
|150 sq. ft.||1.85 cu. yds.||0.46 cu. yds.|
|200 sq. ft.||2.47 cu. yds.||.62 cu. yds.|
|250 sq. ft.||3.09 cu. yds.||0.77 cu. yds.|
|300 sq. ft.||3.7 cu. yds.||0.93 cu. yds.|
|350 sq. ft.||4.32 cu. yds.||1.08 cu. yds.|
|400 sq. ft.||4.94 cu. yds.||1.23 cu. yds.|
|450 sq. ft.||5.56 cu. yds.||1.39 cu. yds.|
|500 sq. ft.||6.17 cu. yds.||1.54 cu. yds.|
|550 sq. ft.||6.79 cu. yds.||1.7 cu. yds.|
|600 sq. ft.||7.41 cu. yds.||1.85 cu. yds.|
|650 sq. ft.||8.02 cu. yds.||2.01 cu. yds.|
|700 sq. ft.||8.64 cu. yds.||2.16 cu. yds.|