Seconds to Hours Conversion
Enter the time in seconds below to get the value converted to hours.
5,400 sec = 1 hr 30 min
How to Convert Seconds to Hours
The fastest way to convert seconds to hours is to use this formula:
The time in hours is equal to the time in seconds divided by 3,600. Since there are 3,600 seconds in one hour, that's the conversion ratio used in the formula.
For example, here's how to convert 5,400 seconds to hours using the formula above.
5,400 sec = (5,400 ÷ 3,600) = 1.5 hr
How to Convert Seconds to Hours, Minutes & Seconds
The formula above can be used to find the hours in decimal form, but if you want to get hours, minutes and seconds, then follow these steps.
- Divide the seconds by 3,600 to get the total hours. Then, use the number to the left of the decimal point as the number of hours.
- Find the remaining seconds by multiplying the even hours found above by 3,600. Then, subtract that from the total seconds.
- Divide the remaining seconds by 60 to get the total number of remaining minutes. Then, use the number to the left of the decimal point as the number of minutes.
- Find the remaining seconds again by multiplying the even minutes found above by 60. Then, subtract that from the total seconds. This is the remaining seconds.
- Put the even number of hours, minutes, and remaining seconds into the form HH:MM:SS.
Seconds and hours are both units used to measure time. Keep reading to learn more about each unit of measure.
The second has historically been defined as 1/60 of a minute or 1/86,400 of a day. According the to SI definition, the second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the unperturbed ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
The second is the SI base unit for time in the metric system. Seconds can be abbreviated as sec; for example, 1 second can be written as 1 sec.
The hour is an SI accepted unit for time for use with the metric system. Hours can be abbreviated as hr; for example, 1 hour can be written as 1 hr.
Second to Hour Conversion Table
|Seconds||Hours||Hours, Minutes & Seconds|
|1 sec||0.000278 hr||0 hr 0 min 1 sec|
|100 sec||0.027778 hr||0 hr 1 min 40 sec|
|200 sec||0.055556 hr||0 hr 3 min 20 sec|
|300 sec||0.083333 hr||0 hr 5 min|
|400 sec||0.111111 hr||0 hr 6 min 40 sec|
|500 sec||0.138889 hr||0 hr 8 min 20 sec|
|600 sec||0.166667 hr||0 hr 10 min|
|700 sec||0.194444 hr||0 hr 11 min 40 sec|
|800 sec||0.222222 hr||0 hr 13 min 20 sec|
|900 sec||0.25 hr||0 hr 15 min|
|1,000 sec||0.277778 hr||0 hr 16 min 40 sec|
|2,000 sec||0.555556 hr||0 hr 33 min 20 sec|
|3,000 sec||0.833333 hr||0 hr 50 min|
|3,600 sec||1 hr||1 hr|
|4,000 sec||1.1111 hr||1 hr 6 min 40 sec|
|5,000 sec||1.3889 hr||1 hr 23 min 20 sec|
|6,000 sec||1.6667 hr||1 hr 40 min|
|7,000 sec||1.9444 hr||1 hr 56 min 40 sec|
|8,000 sec||2.2222 hr||2 hr 13 min 20 sec|
|9,000 sec||2.5 hr||2 hr 30 min|
|10,000 sec||2.7778 hr||2 hr 46 min 40 sec|
|20,000 sec||5.5556 hr||5 hr 33 min 20 sec|
|30,000 sec||8.3333 hr||8 hr 20 min|
|40,000 sec||11.11 hr||11 hr 6 min 40 sec|
|50,000 sec||13.89 hr||13 hr 53 min 20 sec|
|60,000 sec||16.67 hr||16 hr 40 min|
|70,000 sec||19.44 hr||19 hr 26 min 40 sec|
|80,000 sec||22.22 hr||22 hr 13 min 20 sec|
|86,400 sec||24 hr||24 hr|
|90,000 sec||25 hr||25 hr|
|100,000 sec||27.78 hr||27 hr 46 min 40 sec|
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures, The International System of Units, 9th Edition, 2019, https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/41483022/SI-Brochure-9-EN.pdf