Square Footage Calculator
Using the Square Footage Calculator
This calculator is perfect for finding the square footage of any area, especially for construction, home remodeling, and renovation projects such as carpeting, hardwood flooring, tiling, framing, drywalling, painting, and gardening material estimates. Determine the total price of the project by including the price per foot.
Calculate the square footage for imperial measurements, metric measurements, or a mix of imperial and metric measurements. The calculator accepts inches, feet, yards, centimeters, and meters.
How to Find Square Footage
Square footage is just an area, measure in feet. Finding square feet is just like finding an area, by multiplying the length times the width. For finding the square footage of inches or another unit of measure, first convert the length and width measurements to feet, then multiply.
- Measure the length and width of the area. If the area is not a simple shape, break the area into manageable parts and calculate the square feet of each part separately and then add that together. There is a great Wiki How article that details this process nicely. For example, if you are measuring a floor of your home, consider determining the square feet of each room, and then add all of the rooms square footage together to derive the total area.
- Convert these measurements to feet if they aren’t already. Convert inches to feet, convert yards to feet, or convert meters to feet
- Multiply the length in feet times the width in feet
Using measurements in feet:
outside (ft2) = length x width
inside (ft2) = (length – (2 x border)) x (width – (2 x border))
border (ft2) = outside (ft2) – inside (ft2)
Measuring the Square Feet of a Home or Residence
If you’re measuring the square footage of a home or residence, there are some special considerations that apply to determine inhabitable square footage. The square footage of a home helps determine the market value and price of a home and also helps buyers understand the size of the home. This guide explains how to measure the complete square footage of your home. Only rooms that are livable, with finished walls, floor, and ceiling, count toward the finished area of the home. To calculate the total area, get the square footage of each finished room and add together. The calculator above can help determine the square feet of each room, then simply add all of the room’s areas together.
More Construction Calculators
- Post Hole Concrete Calculator
- Retaining Wall Calculator and Price Estimator
- Rebar Material Calculator
- Inch Fraction Calculator
- Carpet Calculator and Price Estimator
- Rebar Weight and Size Calculator
- Concrete Block Calculator
- Baluster Calculator
- Wainscoting Layout Calculator
- Acreage Calculator
- Mulch Calculator and Coverage Estimator
- All Construction Calculators