Mechanical Horsepower Conversion
The mechanical horsepower is a unit used to measure power. Use one of the conversion calculators below to convert to another unit of measure, or read on to learn more about mechanical horsepower.
Mechanical Horsepower Conversion Calculators
Choose a unit of power to convert to.
- Convert mechanical horsepower to watts
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 745.699872 watts
- Convert mechanical horsepower to microwatts
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 745,699,872 microwatts
- Convert mechanical horsepower to milliwatts
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 745,700 milliwatts
- Convert mechanical horsepower to kilowatts
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 0.7457 kilowatts
- Convert mechanical horsepower to megawatts
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 0.000746 megawatts
- Convert mechanical horsepower to electric horsepower
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 0.999598 electric horsepower
- Convert mechanical horsepower to btu per hour
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 2,544 btu per hour
- Convert mechanical horsepower to kilocalories per hour
- 1 mechanical horsepower is equal to 641.615691 kilocalories per hour
- Convert horsepower to amperes
- 1 horsepower at 120 volts with 90% efficiency is equal to 6.91 amps
- Convert horsepower to kilovolt-amperes
- 1 horsepower with power factor of .8 is equal to .9325 kilovolt-amps
Mechanical Horsepower Definition and Usage
Mechanical horsepower is often used to measure the output of engines and motors in North America. One mechanical horsepower is equal to 745.69987158227022 watts.
The mechanical horsepower is a US customary and imperial unit of power. Mechanical horsepower can be abbreviated as hp(I), for example 1 mechanical horsepower can be written as 1 hp(I).
Try our engine horsepower calculator to calculate the power of a motor.
Background and Origin
The term horsepower was adopted by Scottish inventor James Watt to measure the power output of his steam engine and to compare that power with that of horses horses. Horsepower were later used to measure the power output of piston and turbine engines and electrical motors. There are now several different types of horsepower, including mechanical, electrical, brake, and indicated, and they all have different applications in industry.
Mechanical Horsepower Measurement Conversion Table
|mechanical horsepower||watts||microwatts||milliwatts||kilowatts||megawatts||electric horsepower||btu per hour||kilocalories per hour|
|1 hp(I)||745.699872 W||745,699,872 µW||745,700 mW||0.7457 kW||0.000746 MW||0.999598 hp(E)||2,544 Btu/h||641.615691 kcal/h|
|2 hp(I)||1,491 W||1,491,399,743 µW||1,491,400 mW||1.4914 kW||0.001491 MW||1.999195 hp(E)||5,089 Btu/h||1,283 kcal/h|
|3 hp(I)||2,237 W||2,237,099,615 µW||2,237,100 mW||2.2371 kW||0.002237 MW||2.998793 hp(E)||7,633 Btu/h||1,925 kcal/h|
|4 hp(I)||2,983 W||2,982,799,486 µW||2,982,799 mW||2.982799 kW||0.002983 MW||3.998391 hp(E)||10,178 Btu/h||2,566 kcal/h|
|5 hp(I)||3,728 W||3,728,499,358 µW||3,728,499 mW||3.728499 kW||0.003728 MW||4.997988 hp(E)||12,722 Btu/h||3,208 kcal/h|
|6 hp(I)||4,474 W||4,474,199,229 µW||4,474,199 mW||4.474199 kW||0.004474 MW||5.997586 hp(E)||15,267 Btu/h||3,850 kcal/h|
|7 hp(I)||5,220 W||5,219,899,101 µW||5,219,899 mW||5.219899 kW||0.00522 MW||6.997184 hp(E)||17,811 Btu/h||4,491 kcal/h|
|8 hp(I)||5,966 W||5,965,598,973 µW||5,965,599 mW||5.965599 kW||0.005966 MW||7.996781 hp(E)||20,355 Btu/h||5,133 kcal/h|
|9 hp(I)||6,711 W||6,711,298,844 µW||6,711,299 mW||6.711299 kW||0.006711 MW||8.996379 hp(E)||22,900 Btu/h||5,775 kcal/h|
|10 hp(I)||7,457 W||7,456,998,716 µW||7,456,999 mW||7.456999 kW||0.007457 MW||9.995977 hp(E)||25,444 Btu/h||6,416 kcal/h|
|11 hp(I)||8,203 W||8,202,698,587 µW||8,202,699 mW||8.202699 kW||0.008203 MW||10.995575 hp(E)||27,989 Btu/h||7,058 kcal/h|
|12 hp(I)||8,948 W||8,948,398,459 µW||8,948,398 mW||8.948398 kW||0.008948 MW||11.995172 hp(E)||30,533 Btu/h||7,699 kcal/h|
|13 hp(I)||9,694 W||9,694,098,331 µW||9,694,098 mW||9.694098 kW||0.009694 MW||12.99477 hp(E)||33,078 Btu/h||8,341 kcal/h|
|14 hp(I)||10,440 W||10,439,798,202 µW||10,439,798 mW||10.439798 kW||0.01044 MW||13.994368 hp(E)||35,622 Btu/h||8,983 kcal/h|
|15 hp(I)||11,185 W||11,185,498,074 µW||11,185,498 mW||11.185498 kW||0.011185 MW||14.993965 hp(E)||38,167 Btu/h||9,624 kcal/h|
|16 hp(I)||11,931 W||11,931,197,945 µW||11,931,198 mW||11.931198 kW||0.011931 MW||15.993563 hp(E)||40,711 Btu/h||10,266 kcal/h|
|17 hp(I)||12,677 W||12,676,897,817 µW||12,676,898 mW||12.676898 kW||0.012677 MW||16.993161 hp(E)||43,255 Btu/h||10,907 kcal/h|
|18 hp(I)||13,423 W||13,422,597,688 µW||13,422,598 mW||13.422598 kW||0.013423 MW||17.992758 hp(E)||45,800 Btu/h||11,549 kcal/h|
|19 hp(I)||14,168 W||14,168,297,560 µW||14,168,298 mW||14.168298 kW||0.014168 MW||18.992356 hp(E)||48,344 Btu/h||12,191 kcal/h|
|20 hp(I)||14,914 W||14,913,997,432 µW||14,913,997 mW||14.913997 kW||0.014914 MW||19.991954 hp(E)||50,889 Btu/h||12,832 kcal/h|
You might also find our other electrical calculators useful.